Enrique Iglesias in Sofia


A free concert given by M-Tel, one of the largest mobile phone companies in Bulgaria, and it just happened to be taking place in the park down the street from our house. Jodie was very tired and stayed at home, but I joined some 30,000 young Bulgarians to see Enrique.

First to perform was British singer and disc jockey Sonique. After her set there was a long intermission with M-Tel commercials shown on the huge screens around the park. Finally Enrique took to the stage.

I must say, he was a real mensch. He spoke to the crowd in Bulgarian, frequently interjected "Sofia" into his talking and even once into his lyrics. At one point he invited two Bulgarian youths onto the stage and interviewed them, and during the encore he invited a young girl onto the stage and sang his hit "Hero" to her.

And afterwards there was an amazing fireworks display.

Jodie heard everything from our apartment, both from our porch and even while reading in bed. I was glad that I was part of this event, although it was cold and there was a bit of a drizzle (they wouldn't let umbrellas into the park for security reasons but gave out free plastic mackintoshes).

Comments

  1. Hello Ellis and Jodie!

    First of all, I'm very jealous of you! When I found out that Enrique is going to play in Sofia while I'm in Boston, I almost cried! Thank you for sharing this post!

    Secondly, you have a wonderful blog, and I will start reading it! I hope you don't mind that I included a link to your post in my article on Enrique's visit: http://zikata.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/enrique-iglesias-kisses-a-lucky-bulgarian-at-a-concert-in-sofia/
    I will also include your link in my blogroll.
    I'm glad you are having fun in Bulgaria, and I'd like to read more about it!

    Have a nice day!
    Militza (Zikata)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The “Pogacha”

Top 15 Favorite Bulgarian Places

The Chinese Market