Bob Dylan in Sofia

Our favorite Bob Dylan is the classic folk Dylan, with just his voice, guitar and harmonica, and those wonderful folk/rock/protest songs of pure poetry. Still, seeing him in concert is an unforgettable experience.


A number of months ago, Ellis suggested that we go see Bob Dylan when he comes to Sofia in June. Since I am a big Bob Dylan fan, and he’s not, this was a very generous offer, which I immediately accepted. After waiting a number of months, the date finally arrived. Despite the on again/off again rain during the day, the skies were clear before the concert, so we walked the 20 minutes to NDK, where the concert was being held.

We had great seats in the middle of the 3rd row from the front (there were still chairs set up in front of us in the “orchestra” area for VIPs – but I believe that we were more comfortable than they were!)

Bob Dylan came out with his band, and gave a great performance for about 1 ½ hours. He sang a few of his old songs, and some newer ones (I must admit, I haven’t kept up with him in the last 20 years or so….), but, they’re still Bob Dylan style, and I still enjoyed them. He only played the guitar once, but when he played the harmonica, it was pure Dylan. The highlight for the evening was when he sang “Blowin’ in the Wind”, which closed the concert.

Dylan singing in concert with a band is different from the Dylan of my youth – and he definitely has changed his style many times over the years. I would say that for me, my favorite period is the classic Dylan with just his voice, his guitar and his harmonica and those wonderful folk/rock/protest songs that I grew up on. But he’s still around after all this time, as compared to many of his contemporaries, and it’s still great to hear him.

Here is a list of the songs that he sang:

Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Girl From The North Country
'Til I Fell In Love With You
Just Like A Woman
Things Have Changed
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
High Water (for Charlie Patton)
What Good Am I?
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
When The Deal Goes Down
Highway 61 Revisited
Love Sick
Thunder On The Mountain
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Like A Rolling Stone
Jolene
Blowin' In The Wind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The “Pogacha”

Top 15 Favorite Bulgarian Places

The Chinese Market